Tuesday, October 7, 2008

O, Canada (we don't need you)

So the FIA has released the 18 race 2009 schedule and the Canadian GP in Montreal is nowhere to be found. This only a couple of years after they punted the U.S. GP. I guess F1 doesn't need North America. We only buy most of the cars made by the manufacturers. I'm sure Honda, Toyota and BMW love this decision, to name a few.

By all means, let's give Spain two races but none in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a great way to build a fan base. I suspect it has to do with revenues and the new overseas tracks being more willing and able to line Bernie's pockets.

This is truly sad, because Montreal provided Americans the chance to get the feel of a European GP without the expense. It was also a great track that has produced some memorable results over the years.

At least we still have Spa, Silverstone and Monza, but with the loss of the Nurburgring, the neutering of Hockenheim, and the constant threats against Silverstone, trends are headed a direction I don't like, and it goes far beyond Canada. This is just the latest symptom of the disease. I fear for my favorite sport.

No comments: